Belmont was established following a silver strike in 1865. Other minerals, such as copper lead and antimony, were also mined in addition to the silver. The boom brought settlers in and the town of Belmont grew. In 1867, Belmont became the county seat of Nye County. The town boasted four stores, two saloons, five restaurants, livery stable, post office, assay office, bank, school, telegraph office, two newspapers, and a blacksmith shop. As the price of metals fluctuated, so did the fortunes of the town. By 1887, several of the mines closed. In 1905, the county seat of Nye County was relocated from Belmont to Tonopah. The mine dumps were reworked in the early part of the 20th century.
During the 1870s it was known as a major mining boomtown producing gold, and was rumored to have a population of 15,000. Like many towns which are now ghost towns, this one lasted for only a short time. Some of the buildings are still standing, including the courthouse, the Cosmopolitan Saloon, the Monitor-Belmont Mill, and the combination mill.
Currently there are plans to renovate the boomtown into a small city. The plans have yet to be finalized due to the fact that the site is on government property.
We investigated The Belmont Ghost Town on August 23, 2009. Our investigation was inconclusive. View our Gallery for some amazing pictures. http://westsoundparanormal.com/gallery-category/gallery-belmont-ghost-town/